Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: 13 Unsolved Murders in Windsor Ontario  (Read 18230 times)

Desespere

13 Unsolved Murders in Windsor Ontario
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=c0aa00a9-bbaf-449e-af17-fb9103cebaf0&p=2

Cops work cold cases
Trevor Wilhelm, Windsor Star
Published: Friday, January 02, 2009
The little girl was beaten so viciously that the killer's blows broke her right leg and her teeth.

The brutal sexual assault and murder of six-year-old Ljubica Topic three decades ago was among 13 cold murder cases the Windsor police major crimes unit still had on the books this year.

"They remain open cases," said Staff Sgt. Norm Burkoski, who runs the eight-officer unit. "Of course, the more time that goes on, the more peoples' memories fade. So it's important to keep them in the public realm so anyone with information can come forward. Generally, that's what will regenerate the investigation into these cold cases."

The major crimes unit also grappled with 47 fresh cases this year, including three murders, two manslaughters, seven attempted murders, 10 suspicious deaths and four aggravated assaults.

Those were among more than 81,000 incidents the Windsor Police Service handled in 2008.

Of the new major crimes cases, all but six, including an aggravated assault, attempted murder and suspicious death, were concluded.

Since 1971, Burkoski said, there have been 206 murders in Windsor. That's an average of 5.5 a year. Police have solved 104 of them, including all 21 murders since 2004.

One of the most brutal unsolved murders was the death of Ljubica Topic. She was led away hand-in-hand from outside her parents' Drouillard Road home by a stranger who offered her $8 to help him with a job. Her battered body, face covered in blood, was found a few blocks away.

Since 1995, there have been three unsolved murders in Windsor.

Mother of three Diane Dobson, 36, died from multiple blows to the face, likely from a steel bar, and was dumped in a muddy ditch in Brighton Beach in February 1995.

Carol Christou, 55, was found dead in her bathroom in October 2000 with multiple stab wounds to her throat and abdomen.

Police found Debilleanne "Dee Dee" Williamson, 29, bludgeoned to death in her west end basement in February 2003. Officers also found her murdered four-year-old son Xavier Rucker in the bathroom on the main floor of the home.

"These are considered cold cases," said Burkoski. "Each investigator in major crimes is assigned at least one. They are still open."

Those cases don't include outstanding murders in towns surrounding Windsor. Christine Woelk, 49, of Leamington, was last seen alive May 18, 2004, arguing with a man inside a minivan. Her body was discovered a week later on Black Willow Beach in Point Pelee National Park. In February 2006, teaching assistant Nancy Galbraith-Quick, 40, was run down by a stolen minivan in front of several students.

Larry Strangway, 41, was gunned down in May 2006 in his Harrow home. Essex police Chief Greg Pigeon said his service still receives tips on that case.

Burkoski said someone coming forward to give a tip or get something off their chest often gives police the break they need to solve old cases.

Something similar occurred this year with the case of Geoffrey Michael Campbell. Police charged him in August with first-degree murder for the 1997 strangulation of 16-year-old Maribeth Williams. The killer left the girl's wailing infant son alone with the body. Campbell had already been convicted of manslaughter for a different crime and labelled a dangerous offender in prison.

"That was a case where the suspect himself came forward, in effect providing a confession in relation to a crime he allegedly committed," said Burkoski.

Unsolved Windsor murders:

Debilleanne Williamson and son Xavier Rucker, 4 -- Feb. 27, 2003

Carol Christou -- Sept. 20, 2000

Diane Dobson -- Feb. 15, 1995

Ken Clouthier -- May 1993

Roy Stathis -- Feb. 26, 1991

Robert Crow -- Aug. 28, 1990

Adrian Verstraeten -- March 23, 1989

James Ferris -- April 5, 1987

Sylvie Desroches and Clifford Zacher -- April 26, 1984

Bernard Beaudoin -- March 21, 1982

Marlene Sweet and son Jason, 7 -- Sept. 1, 1982

Kirk Knight -- May 19, 1980

Ljubica Topic, 6 -- May 14, 1971

windy

• View Profile
Re: 13 Unsolved Murders in Windsor Ontario
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »
 http://www.police.windsor.on.ca/History/historical%20booklet%20final%20draft.pdf  .This is a really good old historical kinda write up from the beginnings of Windsor Police but I found the murder of 6 year old Ljubica Topic is covered a bit better explaining how her brother who was 8 was given a dime to go away!!I drove myself nuts trying to find out how they knew she was offered 8.00 to help a man do a job!

windy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »
Sorry its on page 47 of the Windsor Police Report :'(

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:16 AM »
Facination stuff. That case of the child is sure brutal. You'd think the police must have a strong POI in that.

windy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
It doesn't make sense $8 for a job when the boy was given 10 cents to go away. Detroit contributed to the reward, presumably prior to 1976 when children were beginning to be murdered in their city.

This is somewhat familiar to five year-old Susan Cadieux in London, Ontario in 1956. A man came up to her and took her away by the hand as her two bothers watched her go. So sad.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,721.0.html

There are a series of child murders in Detroit beginning in 1976 and ends in 1977, four children. Then a single case in 1979 in Detroit. One in 1981 from Grand Rapids - 150 miles E Detroit. They are between the ages of 10 and 14.

On May 8, 1985, six year-old Natasha Shanes goes missing from Jackson, MI, 80 miles E of Detroit. Her disappearance is classified as a stranger abduction.
http://missingkids.idribble.com/usa/michigan/

There are no other cases of children missing or murdered (unsolved) in Detroit, MI and area until 2004 in White Cloud, MI which is 62 miles N of Grand Rapids. What is between the 1985 disappearance of Natasha and Amanda in 2004 is the series of drownings of young college men, in Northen Michigan cities.

I'm not sure what all this means except that Windsor, London, Toronto were sites of early child murders, very young children.
My database crashed so I'll go for tonight.
The 8.00 is what really sent me looking for info because that is the only place we can find where it says the brother was offered $8.00.I was fluastered how they knew that she was offered that money.

windy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
When you listed all the children missing around Windsor,detroit,Toronto,London theres also the Cass Coriidor murders in Detroit.The Cass Corridor is at the river  extremely close to Windsors waters edge.11 year old Timothy King of Birmingham,12 Year Old Mark Stebbins of Ferndale.12 Year Old Jill Robinson of Royal Oak,and 10 yr old Kristine Mihelich of Berkely were suffocated between Feb 1976 and March 1977.Their bodies were found after each was missing for periods of 3-19 days.Two had been raped and one also was shot in the face with a shotgun.I have been digging into these cases as they have hit our news again recently.Nothing to do with what is a cold casse here but still in the time frame and distance kinda of what was posted.

windy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »
Facination stuff. That case of the child is sure brutal. You'd think the police must have a strong POI in that.
No they havent.I didnt live in Windsor at the time but my stepdad did live  literally 4 houses down at the time.And I remember him talking about it and how the men in the city especially that area searched day and night for clues not only cops did.And Fords is right there so alot of Fords and Hiram Walker workers looked through everything for clues and people in the area.That was a really bad area at that time now not so much I live by Hiram Walkers which is near that area but its now cleaned up alot and no violence around it anymore.

windy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
Yeah the babysitter killing.Its back in the news now and they are or have reopened the cold case .A man was arrested 2-3 yrs back and his son went to police and told them his dad was one of the killers.The man is connected to other suspects police have on file.I really hope something cmes out of the new investigations.

?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
The brutal sexual assault and murder of six-year-old Ljubica Topic ..is reopened in windsor,they stated they have a DNA profile from evidance takein 40 yrs ago.there waiting 4 the report back on th dna,
maybe this will help close this case after all these years, & are asking anyone who knows anything ,no matter how small they may think it is,saying even a little info may help close this case.
was reported on A-channle april 13-09.....

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:06:01 AM »
That would be good. Maybe the dna will match a known criminal. Sadly, only sex offenders get there DNA extracted when all felons should.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »
Video showing some of Windsor's unsolved cases.... aired on tv in Windsor, ON

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
I wish you all the best Iwontforget.  If there are enough people to organize a protest that feel a poor job has been done, then you deserve to be heard.

I hope you set a precedent and example for more cities.  We need it and badly - imo the police unions are very much to blame.  For them it's all about what police no longer have to do and how much they will be compensated for it.

Windsor is about a 5 hour drive for me, but if I can be there I will.

Problemsolver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
Thomas jamieson murderd sometime before noon March 2 2003 found with one stab wound to the chest in a Windsor motel, girlfriend was charged but eventually found not guilty. Any info helps

Jaclyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
A couple of days ago, marked the 7th anniversary of the death of Nancy Galbraith-Quick.  She was run over in front of a grade school in Windsor, Ontario, by a minivan.  As far as I know, the killer has not been found or charged.

She was a special ed teacher at the grade school that I attended and I remember, clear as day, the day she was killed.

Rest in peace Mrs. Quick.

Here is her Memorial in the Windsor Star.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/windsorstar/obituary.aspx?n=nancy-quick-galbraith&pid=163362173#fbLoggedOut

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here